Thursday 5 July 2012

Loving Annabelle

When I was an undergraduate, I loved going to the University library to borrow films, just because. And I really miss that. So I have been trying to watch a film a week.


Just caught a really beautiful and tragic film, "Loving Annabelle". It may be a little clumsy but I love the simple, straight-forward story-telling. Love is love, whatever the form. A tale of forbidden love set in a rigid Catholic boarding school where nothing that is not black and white is ever accepted. In comes the outwardly rebellious daughter of a senator, who later proves herself to be a gentle and sensitive soul. Her presence disrupts the orderly ways of the school and breaks down her poetry teacher's pretense to normalcy. 



What I liked is the the film never victimises either character. While both are powerless to the attraction of the other, they are both complicit participants.

"What you call sin, I call the great spirit of love, which takes a thousand forms"
-From Madchen in Uniform, the German film that it was based on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment