Wednesday 23 October 2013

Orange and chocolate chip scones

Breakfast is my favourite part of the day, and even if I wake up at noon on the weekends, I will still choose to have breakfast food with a steaming hot cup of tea. So imagine my disappointment when I checked the kitchen for food to bring to work for Monday's breakfast and found nothing.

Thankfully, the kitchen is well stocked with ingredients for baking due to my penchant for baked goods. So I searched for some recipes online and decided on orange chocolate chip scones. I developed a taste for scones while on a semester exchange programme in Leeds, UK and really miss having scones straight from the oven.


Ingredients
2 cups of all-purpose flour
150 ml of milk
60 g of butter (cold and in small pieces)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
Juice and grated peel of one orange
Handful of chocolate chips

Directions
Measure butter and set it aside in the freezer then pour the grated peel and orange juice into milk. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Quickly grate butter into the dry mixture using a cheese grater (this makes rubbing the butter in quicker and prevents the butter from melting). Make a well in the mixture and slowly pour the wet mixture into the well, stirring to mix it until it becomes dough-like. Stir the chocolate chips into the dough and place the dough mixture into the fridge for 5 minutes.

Use an ice cream scoop to scoop individual scone portions onto a floured tray surface. Place scones into the oven (200 degrees celcius) and bake for 15-20 minutes.

This is a quick and easy recipe and I could not help myself from gulping down one freshly baked scone despite being really bloated from dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment